WOW, is this a good dish!
My philosophy in the kitchen is Keep It Simple but this had to be attempted. I almost turned away from making lasagna because I’m not a fan of how much fat and oil can go into vegan cheese but I realized that 1 cup of cashews can go a long way. I played with ingredients that typically go into a cheese-like flavor and the result is an oil free cashew cream sauce layered between sautéed veggies and semolina noodles.
Semolina is flour from durum wheat and it’s not fancy or hard to find. I love it because it’s high in protein and contains fiber, therefore creating a balance of nutrients in a pasta dish.
Very Veggie Lasagna (dairy Free, oil free)
1. blender or food processor
2. 9 x 13 glass pan
3. Large fry pan
4. Measuring spoons
Cashew cream sauce
¼ cup water
¼ cup fresh lime juice or key lime juice
½ cup nutritional yeast
Handful of basil leaves
Handful of cilantro
1 cup soaked cashews in water for 60 minutes or more
1 garlic clove
Pinch of salt
3-4 garlic cloves
½ sweet onion, chopped
1 to 2 zucchinis, chopped
1 cup mushrooms
1 large bell pepper
1 jar of tomato pasta sauce (your choice! I recommend tomato basil)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
Pinch of sea salt
1 box of semolina or whole wheat lasagna noodles
· Check the label for some fiber and protein
· no boiling required
Vegan shredded cheese (So Delicious or Daiya)
1. Soak the cashews for at least 60 minutes
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
3. Chop all your veggies for the dish and set aside
4. Blend all ingredients in the cashew cream together (I like to blend half the ingredients at a time)
5. In a large pan, sauté onion and garlic with a splash of water or balsamic vinegar.
6. Add the rest of the veggies and sauté for 10 minutes with paprika, cumin, and sea salt.
7. Fill the pan with a light layer of tomato sauce (about ¼ jar)
8. Place a single layer of noodles tightly together on top of the sauce
9. Spread ½ the cashew cream over the noodles
10. Spread ½ the veggies over the top of the cashew cream
11. Start the same layer again: ¼ jar of sauce - noodles - cashew cream - veggies
12. Top with the rest of the tomato sauce
13. Sprinkle on an even layer of vegan shredded cheese
14. Cover loosely with foil and slit to vent
15. Bake for 40 minutes, remove the foil and set to broil on HI for 5 minutes.
16. Spread chopped cilantro on top of the cooked lasagna. Allow 10 minutes to cool.
Eat slowly, enjoy thoroughly!